Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Once Upon a Time

Since I am not in school this semester and my job seems to be giving me less and less hours, I have a vast amount of time to think. I recognize the dangers of this, haha, but also value a few of the things I've discovered about myself.

1.) I love stories. ALL kinds of stories. Personal stories, make-believe stories, stories about squirrels, stories about family, and my favorite are stories about Jesus and his friends. My  husband can attest to this because if a movie is playing, I'm LOCKED in on what's happening. I'm a fabulous communicator, but if I am watching/reading/listening to a story I'm virtually unreachable. This also happens to make me a great listener and friend, because if a friend of mine is sharing a story i can promise that I am completely present.

2.) I can actually be quite lazy. Surprise surprise. I thought that after surviving college I would just find things to fill my time and not just sit around....but let's face it folks, I'm getting pretty good and staring into space. I am learning to deal with my lack of things to do, and try to embrace and even enjoy this time because Lord knows it will not last forever and sooner or later I'll be looking back on this year with fond thoughts wondering why I ever complained.

3.) Like my Mother, I am discovering that Jesus finds me no matter where my mind is. For example - my senior year in high school, I was a little worried about the future (a little = understatement) and God comforted me through a television show called Stargate: Atlantis. I KNOW. I sat in my living room completely flabbergasted that God just used T.V. to rock my world. There may have been tears.

Now that you know this about me, the following discovery may make sense. :0)

I am currently watching a show called "Once Upon a Time." It's the tale of a bunch of storybook characters stuck in our world due to a curse cast by an evil queen. I may be a geek, but it really is an awesome show and lemme tell you why - in the town of Storybrook ( i know...embrace the cheese) nobody remembers who they are. The school teacher has no recollection that she's really Snow White and that the man in a coma at the hospital is her prince charming, the psychiatrist has no idea he's really Jimminey Cricket, and I'm pretty sure the town mayor has no idea that she's really the evil queen who cast the curse. Intense right? It's a story about identity!!! And of course when I think about all these poor storybook characters who've forgotten who they are, I start thinking about who I am. God created me knowing who i was going to be, and what he could entrust to me while I am living on earth. For years I didn't know that. I knew God existed cause my parents kinda told me so, but he wasn't real for me. When I finally figured out that God was there and that he loved me, and that he really did create me - my identity got so clear. I am a Child of God, a Princess to Jesus's Prince. Jesus is my brother, God my father, and the Holy Spirit the beat of my heart. I had purpose! YAY! Now to be fair, I'm still trying to figure out what that purpose is but I know that my story is apart of his Story and now I don't worry about the future so much anymore. Figuring out who I was is the most freeing experience I've ever had, no matter the duties and responsibilities that came with it.

I am seriously looking forward to watching the lights come on in Storybrook as all of these fanstastical characters figure out who they really are. :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment