Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Happy Mentor Day!!!


Hello you wonderful people (some of whom are confined to the couch in sickness...i love you Kristi....)


Today was Mentor Day, which means all the mentors for us interns arrived. Including the ever wonderful Mother of mine, and my own mentor, Pastor Belita Mitchel. It was such great fun meeting these incredible beings and getting to hear their stories of call and struggle, joys and rewards. I have discovered that they are all comedians! hahahha. Just kidding, but they all have great senses of humor and when they are in a room together its like a bundle of joy. They all love Jesus so much, and are so excited to share their summers with us that it's very encouraging. :0)
We, The Interns, even sang a jazzy song for our mentors to show them that we were happy they had arrived. :0D It was pretty sweet..... got a good laugh.


Tonight over all the other nights, I was hit with the realization that this summer is going to be so hard for me. Mostly on the cultural side. I am a white girl. a very white girl.... it's okay... I ad mitt it proudly. But having said that, I have never been immersed in African American or Hispanic culture beyond t.v. shows like Fresh Prince of Bel air and Family Matters. I am already learning significant cultural differences, that if I am not aware of them, could get me into trouble around the congregation. One of my friends looked at me tonight and said, "I think you got it hardest."

yay.

It's going to be a very different summer. a VERY different summer. So i ask your continued prayer for my sanity and the ability to adapt well to a completely new culture. A culture of diverse race, culture, and living situation (city vs. not) and such things. I am getting a little nervous...especially preaching to such a different congregation than the one I'm used to. I'm really hoping I don't say something that could end up reflecting badly on Pastor Belita or the COB or myself. *sigh* Yay challenges!!!! At this point i am very thankful for my past experiences with culture shock in NZ and the Philippines...so I at least know what to expect to be happening inside of me....maybe not on the outside....but on the inside to be sure.


Well it's nearly 11:00 here, so I need to be signing off and going to bed. But i must say before I go, that I am really enjoying the community of interns that I have found here in Elgin. I think we are gonna turn into a pretty neat support group for each other this summer as we all go our separate ways and for this I am eternally grateful.


I love you all, and I miss you dearly.

Happy Mentor Day!

Love

~ME

2 comments:

  1. So I have one comment to make: Be grateful that you all speak the same language! lol. You can adapt to culture, but language (as you probably already know from being in NZ and Phillies) is more difficult to adapt to because of translation and all that. ~ So that was me trying to be like Matt and show some optimism. Definitely not as good as him at it, but it's the thought that counts! =]
    Love you bunches and I'll be praying!
    <3 DD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too! Now could you please get me a new head?? This one's so full of snot I can't sleep. Poop.
    Yay for culture shock!! I'm really excited for what God's gonna teach you through this!! So what's Belita like? I AM praying for you, girl! And I wouldn't worry too much about what to say or being offensive. People will see your humility and love, dear. And the Holy Spirit will nudge when He needs to. Love you!

    ReplyDelete