
This is Jen Scarr reporting from her couch on "Her first Day off"... stay tuned for more information....
Yesterday was a jam packed day of awesome-ness. It started out with 9:00-11:00 bible study for the people who want to learn a little about Jesus before the Food Distribution, or perhaps who just want to be first in line when Food time comes. *shrugs* you win some...you lose some... The important thing is, is that the people who are getting something out of the studies keep coming and talking about Jesus. Some of these people have amazing stories to tell. Living on the streets is no easy deal, living in condemned buildings or buildings on the way to condemnation isn't easy either. But these people, some of whom have young kids, keep the faith in Jesus and have a stronger relationship with him because of it. It blows my mind sometimes.
On the flip side of the conversation, Sister Waverly (The lady who normally leads one of the classes) was absent, so we combined Kevin's class with hers and had a kind of mega class, led by Reverend Dixon. Now, Brother Dixon has his own special way of leading bible study. I think it turned into more of a sermon, preachin' at them instead of talking with them or to them. I guess I'm just trying to fit into a different type of ministry. *ponders* Pastor Belita, pointed out that with the lack of Bible knowledge in that group of people they might need someone to do most of the talking. Who knows? I know God's working in that ministry, so I'll trust him to do what he needs to there. I am looking forward to sitting in on Waverly's class next week, and seeing how she runs it. It'll be interesting to get a sense of different teachers.
After the Bible class, was the food distribution. This week, we served 126(ish) people. I gave out tickets this week and made friends with Nathan and Barbara, both from the Christ Community church. Jo, the guy who runs the event and who prays with anyone who wants it while they stand in line, is convinced I don't have the Holy Spirit in my life because I don't pray in tongues. He tried to convince me again that I needed the Holy Spirit, when I said I did, he informed me that I needed to learn how to pray. *confused face* Oh well, people are just different. It'll be interesting getting to know him through-out the fridays i'll be working this summer.
Once that was finished, I ate some lunch, and then got Office Orientated by Marisel. She the Pastor of Hispanic Ministries as well as the Office Administrator for the church. I am to be working on updating the Directory as well as cleaning up some Hard Cope filing. She introduced me to the machines, and phones, and systems and how they operate. We talked and joked, and generally had a good time. I'm excited to get started. :0)
Then Marisel left, and Pastor Belita showed up soon afterwards. We had some good times debriefing and talking about the day, and my experiences here so far. Before I left, we went down to the Prayer Room (the new pride and joy of First Church :0D ) and spent a little more time talking about Brethren and kids, and we prayed. It was good times. :0)
Now, i am chillin on my day off fixin' to work on getting my guitar fixed, maybe going on a run, watching a flick, maybe finally get some pictures up on facebook, and doing a little devotional time. I'm looking forward to it. :0) Trying to keep myself busy, but not TOO busy. bahaha.
Have a beautiful day peoples!
love
~ME
p.s. Prayer = I am suffering from Homesickness. I miss my friends, family, and of course Matthew....a lot. So I need help dealing with that, and not letting it affect my ministry here. Thanks for praying and being awesome. I love you.
Did you say where you're living? Who you're living with? If you did, I missed it.
ReplyDeleteSo...the book. Yes, very convicting. And that's why I encouraged you to read with a grain of salt...as amazing as his lifestyle is, I'm not convinced that living in a commune is what all Christians are called to. But hey, he's got a lot of things right!!
I'm reading "The Shack". Amazing so far. I'll keep you posted.
I'm praying for your homesickness...it'll probably let up some when you get into a routine, my dear. Love you!