Dear inquiring minds,I hope this little bloggie finds you well. :0) Today was my first REAL day at the office. I woke up extra early (not really) and got ready by putting a little bow in my hair (ok.....so it was a bobby pin) and left the house a half hour early!!! (ok....so it was more like....on time....) teehee.
For reals though, I got to church before Pastor Belita and most of the other staff members. But it was ALL cool cause Marisel brought donuts and coffee cause she is a DARLING creature from heaven. hahaha. I then had my first staff meeting EVER. It was pretty cool. It consisted of:
Belita Mitchell (Pastor)
Marisel .... (Pastor of Hispanic Ministries)
Marisel .... (Pastor of Hispanic Ministries)
Josiah Ludwick (Youth Minister)
Gerald Rhoades (BCM Director)
and ME (intern extraordinaire)
We talked mostly about my job description and how each of them wanted me to fit into thier ministry and lives basically. It was a very good thing for me, since it put down in concrete certain things I am expected to do. Yippee!!! I am really excited to FINALLY get going, and hit the grind. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be super tired by the end of the summer, but it will be WELL worth it. :0)
Then Belita took me with her on some Hospital visits after lunch. We saw Wilda, who was in recovery from neck operation. She had such a great story. So she was sitting in the room in pre operation, and the surgeon walks in and looks at her and says, "You're nervous." And then she just starts bawling, saying no she wasn't cause she knew he was a good surgeon. But he says, "it's okay, I am just the instrument. God's the healer. And the nurse that's in the room with me is also a devote christian, we are looking out for you." And then he gave her a hug. :'0) Awwwwwwwww. We need more doctors like THAT in the world. How cool. She was such a neat lady. I can't wait to see her in her element and away from the hospital.
In the evening, I went to a community meeting called "Weed and Seed" which is a collaboration between Police, residents, and non-profits to make the community a safer, and more beautiful place to live. It was really cool to see a Police force that was hell-bent on doing something good for the community and willing to ask help from the community to do so. It was so different from my perception of policemen I've encountered in the past. I think that South Allison Hill (the community First Church is located in) has the right people in the right places in terms of leadership. In such a broken neighborhood, it's spectacular to see God's light shining. It was encouraging, very encouraging.
On my way home i decided to stop at the grocery store to get supplies. lol. ya know...ibuprofen, peanut butter, jelly, bread...the basics. ;0) And I got lost in the grocery store!!!! hahahahahha. I couldn't find bread for the life of me and actually asked two people before I was able to locate the correct isle. Phewie. It was intense. And all the while it's getting dark outside, and I don't feel all to comfortable trampin around harrisburg in the dark...so I make it to the line. And end up having a little conversation with my cashier. She was a nice girl, who seems to have gotten herself in a fix with her pregnant best friend and her current boyfriend. She was ready to tell me her autobiography....and probably would have if there hadn't been a line. But man, she was so interesting. I think i'll try to find her line the next time I go.....
I am continuing to read this book "Irrestiable Revolution" by Shane Claiborne...and let me tell you. This author has my attention. Some favorite quotes are:
"Over and over, when I ask God why all of these injustices are allowed to exist in the world, I can feel the Spirit whisper to me, 'You tell me why we allow this to happen. You are my body, my hands, my feet.'" (pg 65)
"When we truely discover love, capitalism will not be possible and Marxism will not be nescessary." (pg. 164).
Over all, so far - i'm feeling that this 'ordinary radical' has a lof of good things to say and shares my genuine passion for people, the word, and trying to share it in action and voice. At times, it feels like he gets a bit preachy, and pulls of a few guilt trips. But honestly, if i were living the way he is... i might say the same types of things. His call mirrors Jesus in a very literal way. He lives in Community with a few others who pool thier money and support each other. They share everything, cars, grocery bills, rent, everything. It seems to work really well for them, and they do thier best to live simply on purpose. Opening up thier doors to whoever, whenever. Helping however the Spirit leads them. It's a different and radical way of living....but at the same time. it shouldn't be so radical. It should be normal for chrisitans to live that way. ya know? But so many of us are tied to our comfort. *ponders* I have never been a fan of money... and part of me would gladly give up all i have to live with those who have nothing, and yet have everything at the same time. In a way, I am doing that. Pastoring does not offer much in the way of payment, but who needs money when we got Jesus, community, and Agape. I would rather die starving full of love, than full of food and starving for company. Jesus's words are gut wrenching.... convicting... challenging. It's a life style. He asks us to join a hard lifestyle.....living simply, and walk humbly with God. *continues to ponder*
What do you guys think?? Especially those of you who have seen a few more years than me? what are your thoughts??? How have you struggled with stories about the rich man who was called to give up everything, and walked away instead? How it applies? if it applies? Let me know.
Well kids... it's been an awesome day and i am looking forward to tomorrow. :0)
Keep walking, steppin', and running toward Jesus!
Love,
~ME
p.s. Prayer: Tomorrow is the Food Distribution at First Church and we serve up to 180 families bags of needed food. There is a Bible study before the distribution, pray for high attendance and that people walk away learning something useful and touched by the very heart of God.
i am also starting office work tomorrow, so pray that I fit right back into my office niche and do my people proud!!! :0D
Hi Jen, I just loved this. I usually just read your post on the e-mail and don't get around to getting here to comment, but your question about Jesus asking the rich man to give away all of his possessions caught my interest.
ReplyDeleteThis is my take on those verses:
Notice that the man asks "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?" There is the big clue...what must I *DO*. The answer of course is nothing. There is nothing that we can do to earn it, it is a gift. I think that Jesus is talking tongue in cheek here....oh, so he wants something to DO, huh? Okay, we'll show him how impossible that would be...he says "follow all the commandments" (impossible to follow in the spirit of the law, yes?), yet he's already done that so he says. Jesus raises the bar higher then and says...
"Okay, then sell everything you've got and give the money to the poor. Then come, follow me." He tells the disciples that it's hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven and they wonder..."Well, who can be saved then?"
And Jesus answers: Man can't do it, God can.
Of course I could be wrong, but that's the way I like thinking about it. Otherwise, we're all in a heap of trouble! :-)
Oops! I hope none of the pastor seminarian types read this!
Love you,
Mom #2
Yay!!! I'm glad you are having such an amazing time!!! You are in for a wonderful summer. =)
ReplyDeleteI have a question. So Stacey told me about this lady that knows both of us...but I have no clue who she is. lol. Her name is Terri Bridelee. Do you have any idea who this person is?? Cause I sure don't and apparently she knows us so I'm rather curious. I hope you have a great day and I'm looking forward to hearing more about your adventures!
Love you!
DD =)